Back to business and a few thoughts on "Revolution of the Daleks"


Happy New Year!

So, I haven't posted anything in two weeks. I've been on holidays (safely at home, with my family), and I hadn't time to write. I would have prepared a couple of Special Exhibits beforehand, but I was intending to write something during the break, except I was enjoying my time with my loved ones far too much to do anything else. Also, it's not like I have too much of a readership yet, so I decided a couple of blank weeks wouldn't do any harm to the blog.

Anyway, I'm back now, so expect a Special Exhibit this Friday as usual and then a different feature next week. Also, of all the TV programs and movies we got during the Holidays, I wanted to talk quickly about Doctor Who's New Year's Special, Revolution of the Daleks, as it directly affects the very first article I wrote here.

From this point, there will be some mild spoilers (mild mostly because they were reported before the episode even aired), so if you plan on watching it and you still haven't, don't keep reading.

The episode itself was fine. It was one of the most satisfying ones in this incarnation's run, but as a Holiday Special it was a bit disappointing, considering what we used to get this time of the year under former showrunners. It’s not an attack on Chibnall, but there were many of the troubles I went over in my Wish List still on display. Luckily, there are very hopeful signs of improvement:

-The Companions: So, Ryan and Graham are gone. We knew this beforehand, as it was reported some weeks ago, diminishing the impact of their departure. If you read my list, you know I’m not particularly sad about Ryan’s exit. They were never able to develop him into a compelling companion despite some very promising potential in the first episode. Making him stay to protect Earth was the best thing they could do for him, and I wouldn’t be opposed to future guest appearances, as I didn’t actively dislike him either. I was just indifferent because he was just there.

Graham, on the other hand, did bring a lot to the series, and I’ll miss his warmth and humor, but I’ll agree his departure along with Ryan makes the most sense. Hopefully, his void will be filled by improving the interactions of the TARDIS crew.

This leaves just Yaz, which was exactly what I wanted if this means we’ll develop her further. We saw promising signs in the Special, and I’m looking forward to seeing her becoming a more fleshed out character, as she was always the most interesting, but usually forgotten member of the Fam. And depending on how long she stays, she could even become one of the longest- serving Companions in the series’ run.

We also had an announcement that we would get a new one, someone called Dan played by John Bishop. I’m not familiar with the work of this comedian and presenter, but it seems like he’s supposed to take over on the comic relief role. Is another person necessary? We won’t know until we see it, but I hope they don’t make the mistake of overcrowding the TARDIS again instead of developing the characters we have.

-Continuity and serialization: Again, too early to call on this, but there were many signs that they are starting to become more open to the wider Whoniverse beyond the current incarnation. The Silence! Angels! Rose and Gwen Cooper! Davis’ Daleks!

They don’t address the fact that humanity doesn’t know what Daleks are again, but hopefully, this public event will stick for good. There were countless victims, after all.

The Special also seems to point towards a stronger serialized format than previously, most likely centering on The Doctor’s search for the truth over the Timeless Child issue.

-Inventive Concepts: Sadly, this was where the episode lacked the most. The plot of different Daleks factions fighting each other has been done many times, as has the idea of a private company getting alien technology and making their own version of it with disastrous consequences.

There were a couple of nice touches, though, like the fact that one of the factions was summoned by the Doctor herself as a desperate measure, or the spare TARDIS being used to dispatch them (I liked the image of the countless Daleks entering the booth, even if I didn’t fully enjoy the visual effects this time). I’m also on board with Robertson as a recurring villain for the next season. The show has done evil businessmen before, but this one feels particularly relevant.

-Excitement factor: Stronger than usual in Chibnall’s run but lacking for a Holiday Special. A lot of the emotion came from seeing Jack and The Doctor together after so many years, but there were pacing issues. Also, the emotional farewell was relatively well-handled, though Grace’s “Ghost” was a bit too much for me.

I think one of the factors that made this one a mixed bag was not centering so much on the emotion, but rather on random bits, like that intro with the agent who is immediately killed off, or the whole Prime Minister plot, which didn’t go anywhere and was utterly absurd.

 

On a related matter, tabloids are reporting that Jodie Whittaker will exit the show after Series 13. While there’s no official confirmation yet, it wouldn’t bee much of a stretch: departing after three seasons has been the norm since the Tenth Doctor’s tenure. Still, I’ll be sad to see her go. She was one of the most interesting and likable Doctors, and I wish the show itself can use her to her full potential before the end.


Happy 2021 and stay safe.

Comments